Problem: In IE8, when you click to Tools –> Manage Add-Ons, Internet Explorer crashes with a Data Execution Prevention error.
Symptoms: Application Event Logs show Event ID 1000 – Faulting Application iexplore.exe
I tried reinstalling IE8, but that did not help
Solution: For me, the problem was due to a faulty ActiveX control or Java applet. Go to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files and check the status of the controls There, I found one add-on that had a status of “Damaged”. Some were also “Unknown”. Others were “Installed”. You can right-click on the add-on and select “Remove”. I actually removed them all, then reinstalled my Java.